What type of coffee do you drink? Comax Flavors announces results from the company’s first coffee study as part of a new food and beverage primary market research program. Comax’s research shows that 45% of 500 U.S. respondents normally drink specialty coffee such as Espresso, Macchiato, Americano, and Latte compared to 76% who drink regular coffee. For more study details, please see press release below and attached photo courtesy of Comax.
If this email has reached you in error, please forward to the correct person. Thank you.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For Press Inquiries:
RELEASE Wake Up and Smell The Coffee, Comax Flavors Unveils Primary Research Program
June 6, 2017 (Melville NY) – Comax Flavors has embarked on a new food and beverage primary market research program to better understand consumers’ behavior, usage and attitudes towards a variety of food and beverage market segments. In January, Comax Flavors conducted its first coffee study with 500 U.S. respondents aged 18-70+. The study examined coffee preparation, consumption habits and preferences of women and men. “Coffee is a universal staple engrained in many cultures. With so much market activity, especially in flavored coffees and ready-to-drink (RTD) products, Comax wanted to better understand coffee consumption habits and usage among the general population,” states Catherine Armstrong, Vice President of Corporate Communications for Comax Flavors.
Comax has partnered with Amy Marks-McGee of Trendincite LLC to manage the market research program and George Costello Creative to translate the data into creative, fun and easy-to-read infographics. Additional Comax studies include: juice, flavored water, nutrition and performance products, yogurt, baked goods and spirits.
Below are just a few of the study highlights. To request a copy of the complete Wake Up and Smell The Coffee infographic, contact [email protected].
• Flavor is the number one driver of coffee purchases among all generations with almost three-quarters (73%) of respondents citing it as the most important attribute
• Gen Y (49%), Gen X (44%) and Gen Z (40%) favor flavored coffee compared to Baby Boomers (19%)
• Nearly one-third (32%) of respondents consume flavored RTD coffee
• 67% of Baby Boomers and 81% of respondents 71+ do not drink RTD coffee
• 40% of respondents drink instant coffee and surprisingly Gen Y (65%) are the heaviest users followed by Gen Z (51%) and Gen X (39%)
• A quarter (26%) of respondents use flavored creamers in iced coffee while a third (33%) use flavored creamers in hot coffee
• Similarly, 14% use flavored syrup in iced coffee while 12% use flavored creamers in hot coffee
• 40% of respondents’ coffee habits change depending on the season
• Of those respondents that drink seasonal coffee flavors, 43% consume seasonal flavors in fall and winter compared to 21% in spring and summer
• Respondents are sweet on coffee flavors in other applications with 46% stating they enjoy coffee flavored ice cream and 44% enjoy coffee flavored chocolate
• 64% of respondents noted they drink *indulgent coffees as an alternative to a snack or dessert
*Indulgent coffee examples include Mochas, Frappuccino, Frappe etc.
Generations defined: Gen Z born 1996 and later; Gen Y born 1977 to 1995; Gen X born 1965 to 1976; Baby Boomers born 1946 to 1964; Silent Generation born 1925 to 1945