Tim Hortons restaurants in metro Detroit are offering diners a golden opportunity Friday for National Doughnut Day.
The Canadian chain has hidden golden Timbits (bite-size doughnut bits) at two Tim Hortons locations in metro Detroit. It also has hidden Timbits at select stores in Buffalo, New York, and Columbus, Ohio.
The company says the Timbits are honey-dipped and that the 24k gold is edible. The special Timbits aren’t for sale, however.
You can start looking for the Timbits beginning at 6 a.m. Friday. Customers who find the golden Timbits win free doughnuts for a year.
Two prizes will be awarded in Detroit. Here’s what you need to do, according to rules listed at www.timhortons.com/24kgoldtimbits. Stop at any Tim Hortons and ask for “Gold Timbits” or “24-carat Gold Timbits” or a similar phrase. If you’re the first person after 6 a.m. to ask for the Timbits at one of the two select stores, you’ll receive the Gold Timbits and win the top prize.
Michigan-based Dawn Foods, a manufacturer and ingredients supplier to bakeries around the world, has released its first Doughnut Day survey. The findings include:
* Gen Z and millennial consumers are interested in offbeat offerings like pickle-flavored doughnuts, sriracha and s’mores.
* More than one-third of consumers eat doughnuts at least once a month.
* The average consumer eats 31 doughnuts a year.
* More than 10 billion doughnuts are made in the U.s. every yaer.
Here are other National Doughnut Day deals.
* Dunkin’ Donuts: Get a free classic doughnut of choice (while supplies last) with the purchase of any beverage. It’s good all day Friday at participating locations nationwide.
* Krispy Kreme: One free doughnut, no purchase necessary. There are locations in Allen Park, Grand Rapids and Troy.
Papa John’s is rolling out its new cinnamon-sugar doughnut holes for a limited time. On Friday, customers get a free order with any online pizza order. But that’s not all. If you order the doughnut holes online (a 10 piece pack is $4.99) or through the Papa John’s app between Saturday and June 30, you’ll be able to enter the Dreaming of Doughnuts Island Getaway Sweepstakes. Papa John’s will award one customer a trip for two to the Coromandel region of New Zealand, including Whenuakura (Donut) Island. For more information. go to papajohns.com/dreamdonuts on Saturday.
By Susan Selasky, Detroit Free Press
(c)2018 the Detroit Free Press
Visit the Detroit Free Press at www.freep.com
Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.