They came in the thousands to follow the hugely successful World of Coffee (WOC) to Budapest for Europe’s greatest coffee gathering. Over 6,800 people from over 100 countries met with more than 2,350 exhibitors at 234 stands over the 3-day event at the renowned Hungexpo Fair Center, breaking attendance records.
Coffee professionals and enthusiasts attend WOC each year for inspiration, education, industry networking events and to witness some of the best baristas in the world compete in high level competitions.
The Winners’ Enclosure!
The best of the best in coffee making talent took part in various competitions and after exacting standards and fierce competition, everyone cheered as the winners were announced.
World Brewers Cup – Competitors worldwide competed on a national level to represent their home nation at the World Brewers Cup. 2017 World Brewers Cup Champion, Chad Wang from Taiwan.
World Latte Art Championship – Celebrating artistic expression, baristas are judged based on visual attributes, creativity, identical patterns, contrast in patterns and overall performance. 2017 World Latte Art Champion, Arnon Thitiprasert from Thailand.
World Coffee in Good Spirits – The World Coffee in Good Spirits Championship promotes innovative beverage recipes and mixology skills. 2017 World Coffee in Good Spirits Champion, Martin Hudak from Slovakia.
World Cup Tasters Championship – The World Cup Tasters Championship awards the professional coffee cupper who demonstrates speed, skill, and accuracy in distinguishing the taste differences in specialty coffees. 2017 World Cup Tasters Champion, Lok Chan from Hong Kong.
The World Cezve/ Ibrik Championship – This championship showcases the Cezve or Ibrik, one of the oldest forms of preparing coffee. 2017 Cezve/ Ibrik Champion, Karthikeyan Rajendram of UAE.
Congratulations to all champions and competitors on their incredible performances! We can’t wait to see you all again next year.
Best New Product Awards
Each year, the Specialty Coffee Association’s Best New Product Awards recognizes new products that represent quality and add value to the specialty coffee and tea industry.
The Best New Product Awards for 2017 went to:
• Coffee Accessories – Espazzola, PROTONEA Senger
• Consumer Equipment (Non-Electrical) – Cafflano Kompresso, Beanscopr Co, Ltd.
• Open Class – Flor de Café, Flor de Cafe
• Open Class, Special Mention – Tonino, Marko Luther & Paul Holleis GbR
• Packaging – Upcycled Denim Bag, Coffee Bird Limited
• Specialty Beverage Flavor Additive – Garden Mint Lemonade, DaVinci Gourmet
• Specialty Beverage Stand Alone – Chalo Chai, Chalo
• Technology – RØST Sample Roaster, RØST COFFEE AS
• Commercial Equipment – Marco Mix, Marco Beverage Systems
• Commercial Equipment, Special Mention – Conserv 75E, Pentair
• Commercial Equipment, Non-Electric – Foam Locus, Nuova Ricambi
All eyes are now on Amsterdam as WOC moves to the Venice of the North for the 2018 event. Bookings for exhibitor space at World of Coffee Amsterdam opened in Budapest and over 70% of stand space has been sold so don’t miss out on being a part of this great event. www.worldofcoffee-amsterdam.com