Tesco Supermarkets in Wales now offer locally-roasted “Fairly Traded” Rogers Estate Coffees
John W. Rogers – Vice President Jim Zelinski/Zelinski Public Relations
Jim Rogers – Vice President (For The Rogers Family Company)
The Rogers Family Company 925/242-0918 or 415/420-6050
916/258-8000 email@example.com or
TESCO SUPERMARKETS IN WALES NOW OFFER LOCALLY-ROASTED, “FAIRLY TRADED” ROGERS ESTATE COFFEES
WALES, UK and LINCOLN, CALIFORNIA, USA (November 17, 2014) – More than 50 Welsh Tesco Extra and Superstores are introducing exceptional single origin Rogers Estate Coffees that also sustain farmers and nature in 11 countries.
Grown on renowned, shade-grown single estate farms, these private reserve coffees include whole bean and ground “Boquete Mountain” (Panama), “Finca Santa Maura” (Nicaragua) and ground “Lake Atitlan” (Guatemala). Tesco will introduce Lake Atitlan whole bean after the holiday season.
Purchases of Rogers Estate Coffees support the Wales-based roaster’s unique Community Aid program. Through Community Aid, customers help turn coffee into houses, schools and medical clinics for thousands of farm workers or even protect rare wildlife such as jaguars and their forest homes.
“We thank Tesco for the opportunity to provide our coffee to their customers in Wales,” said Rogers Family Company Vice President John W. Rogers. “Tesco customers can help make a direct, permanent difference in the quality of life for the people who fill their cup and also protect the land, plants and animals in coffee-growing communities.”
“We are delighted to be working with Rogers Estate Coffees to provide our shoppers in Wales with high quality coffee,” says Chris Minter, Local Sourcing Buying Manager for Tesco.
The Rogers’ Community Aid permanently raises the quality of life at farms through critical social and environmental projects. The Rogers launched Community Aid in the late 1980s after witnessing “appalling” poverty that gripped some farms for generations.
Since 1989, the Rogers family has spent some $15 million on Community Aid now established on 20 farms.
For example, Community Aid and the Rogers have:
• Built or aided 46 schools, 1,051 housing complexes and 13 medical clinics.
• Protected approximately 6,000 acres of forest.
• Created on company-owned farms de facto nature reserves to harbor dozens of birds, mammals, fish, reptiles and amphibians.
• Launched a multi-million dollars project to plant 50 million coffee trees to replace those destroyed by the “La Roya” rust disease that’s devastated some Latin America coffee farms and created an economic crisis that’s affected millions of people.
• Pioneered a unique “bio-gas” system that uses coffee waste to power farms and mills.
• Achieved “carbon negative” status through organic, sustainable farms and restoring native forest on thousands of acres in Mexico and Central America.
• Deployed a “green army” – billions of earthworms – that create organic, nutrient-rich fertilizer.
• Embarked on a “100-year” tree planting program.
• Required farmers to preserve native forests, soil and water supplies.
• Helped to rebuild once war-torn Rwanda where the Rogers have established an operation that benefits 25,000 farmers and built the Gashora Girls Academy that provides continuing education to the daughters of Rwandan farmers.
• Encouraged an organic approach to reduce runoff of toxins into waterways, lessen the risk of birth defects and illness.
• Bolstered school attendance by creating a Little League baseball program. (Youth can play on the teams only if they attend school)
Community Aid also provides day care centers, doctors, nurses, teachers, food, clothing and clean water. It differs from and exceeds other programs that only supplement farmers’ wages. The Rogers pay farmers a fixed, above-market price based upon their production cost and a reasonable return. The price per pound the Rogers pay farmers is higher than what other organizations consider “fair.”
ABOUT ROGERS ESTATE COFFEES:
Roasted and packaged in Caerphilly, Wales, Rogers Estate Coffees (www.rogersestatecoffees.co.uk) contain only 100 percent, highest-quality Arabica beans. Shade-grown under a canopy of rainforest and native trees, these coffees have distinct, exceptional characteristics. They are packaged in 227-gram bags.
Rogers Estate Coffees was launched in 2006. It is a division of the Lincoln, California-based Rogers Family Company (www.rogersfamilyco.com) founded in 1979.
The Rogers family has been recognized for environmental and social stewardship, recently earning Store Brands magazine’s “Pacesetter Supplier” award. The magazine named the company one of America’s most environmentally responsible roasters.
The company supplies gourmet Fairly Traded coffee and tea to customers worldwide. It supplies whole bean, ground and single serve coffee including organic lines.
TESCO LOCAL SOURCING – NOTES TO EDITORS:
• Tesco sells more locally sourced products than any other retailer – over 4,000 local lines.
• Tesco works with over 400 local suppliers.
• Tesco customers can search for and buy local products online at www.tesco.com/local.
• Tesco has four regional buying offices in Scotland, Wales and the South West, North & East of England and Northern Ireland. Each dedicated Local Sourcing Team works closely with local suppliers to offer customers the best in locally celebrated food and drink.
• Tesco’s Local Sourcing Teams support local suppliers in growing their businesses by offering technical advice and sharing valuable customer insights.
• Tesco’s Local Sourcing Team includes technical managers who work with suppliers at a local level, helping them meet quality standards. They also offer information and guidance on all other elements of running a business, e.g. marketing and branding.
• Tesco’s Local Sourcing Team runs supplier conferences at which regional marketing managers, technical managers and buyers provide local suppliers with business advice and information on meeting technical standards.
• Tesco Link is a free online service for local suppliers that offers insights into how their products are performing at a local level. The service helps suppliers improve their sales and enables them to address any sales issues.