Peet’s Coffee Welcomes Exceptional Georgetown Retail Store to National Portfolio
Stunning Newcomer to Historic Neighborhood Features First Slow Bar for the Brand
and Drives Continued Growth in the DC Region
EMERYVILLE, California—December 19, 2016—Peet’s Coffee®, the original craft coffee company, today announced its new retail store in the District of Columbia’s historic Georgetown neighborhood, ideally situated on 3299 M Street and showcasing a distinctive interior and exterior, in addition to the brand’s first ever in-store Slow Bar. The retail store, which officially opens to the public today, demonstrates how the brand has grown aggressively and selectively from less than one DC Metro based retail store in 2013 to over 20 today, making the region one of the fastest growing areas for the brand.
“We are thrilled by the success we have achieved in the DC Metro area, where sales has grown tremendously in the past year and a half,” said Dave Burwick, CEO, Peet’s Coffee. “D.C., Maryland and Northern Virginia remain an important market for the company and we expect continued momentum leading well into 2017, with the aim to have over 30 stores in the region by 2020.”
A Premier Coffee Destination in the Heart of Georgetown
As the vanguard of the craft coffee movement, Peet’s has put Coffee First™ for 50 years by sourcing the world’s best beans, hand-roasting them in small batches, and creating delicious handcrafted beverages.
“We want our guests to experience a premium, aesthetically pleasing space that elevates their enjoyment of our expert craft coffee,” said Paul Clayton, President, Retail, Peet’s Coffee. “Peet’s Coffee consistently seeks to create transformative environments and our Georgetown retail store achieves that through thoughtfully repurposing and accentuating an existing historical structure with our unique design philosophy.”
Key design features of Peet’s Coffee Georgetown retail store include:
• Prime location on the popular M Street in the charming, vibrant, and nationally-designated historical neighborhood of Georgetown.
• Exposed brick wall accents that complement the restored original wood frames and steel beams to maintain a contemporized interior with an industrial flair.
• Finely crafted reclaimed wood cabinets, marble and copper counters, “steam punk” lighting fixtures, and urban stencil art all contribute to a cutting-edge, yet distinguished, presentation.
• Sustainable building features like LED lighting, new efficient heating and cooling systems, and water conserving equipment have been incorporated to achieve substantial energy efficiency.
• A “living wall” installation of fresh plants that integrates nature into an urban atmosphere, restoring balance by enhancing indoor air quality and brightening moods of patrons.
• Airy Barista Bar and innovative Slow Bar that reinforce the brand’s half a century of coffee expertise and passion for handcrafting beverages.
• Stylish exterior that beckons visitors with geometric motifs overlaid on a creamy backdrop.
Slow Bar: Expanding on 50 Years of Coffee Credentials
The Georgetown retail store boasts the first in-store Slow Bar for Peet’s Coffee, reinforcing the company’s coffee credentials. Patrons can visit the Slow Bar to select from a variety of beans and brewing methods—such as pour over, siphon, and press pot—and compare the tastes and technology of coffee.
To find a Peet’s Coffee near you, visit http://www.peets.com/store-locator.
# # #
About Peet’s Coffee:
Peet’s Coffee® is a U.S. specialty coffee company founded by Alfred Peet in 1966 in Berkeley, California. Mr. Peet grew up in the coffee trade and moved to America from Holland after World War II. His coffee style was unlike anything Americans had ever tasted before—small batches, fresh beans and a superior quality roast that is rich and complex. Mr. Peet’s influence on the artisan coffee movement inspired a new generation of coffee entrepreneurs, including the founders of Starbucks. Today, Peet’s upholds its commitment to delivering a premium product by continuing to source the world’s best beans, hand-roast in small batches, and craft every beverage by hand. Peet’s asserts a strict standard of freshness to ensure optimum flavor, including a unique direct store delivery network serving over 14,000 grocery stores to personally vet the freshness date on every bag. Peet’s is dedicated to growing its business through its retail, grocery and e-commerce channels while maintaining the superior quality of its coffee. Peet’s is also proud of its status as the first LEED® Gold certified roastery in the United States. For more information, visit www.peets.com. Stay connected to Peet’s: @peetscoffee on Twitter and Instagram and facebook.com/peets.
Media Contacts for Peet’s Coffee:
Elizabeth Ricardo, Public Relations Manager, Peet’s Coffee
Allison Field, Finn Partners